In the heart of a valley, only a stones throw away from the hustle and bustle of PE and Jeffrey's Bay lies African Dawn Bird and Wildlife Sanctuary.
The sanctuary is set within truly beautiful grounds nestled between rolling hills, close to the ocean and is a relaxing place to spend a lazy day.
Our spacious enclosures and open grounds provide the visitor with a feeling of peace and tranquility. We have several picnic and braai areas located around the park as well as a restaurant that serves light meals.
For bird lovers there are over 250 species of birds indigenous to South Africa and further afield. We proudly boast the largest aviary in the Eastern Cape. Sit around and hear the calls of birds such as the Knysna Loerie, the laughing dove and the vibrant Bishop. See also our majestic Black Eagle and Cape Vultures as well as endangered Blue and Crowned Cranes. Come say hello to our numerous parrots species -African Greys, Macaws, Cockatoos to name a few.
Other animals include: our beautiful Cheetahs, Servals, Caracal, Monkeys, Squirrels, Mongoose, Meerkats, Crocodile as well as numerous buck species including Grysbok, Grey Duiker and Blue Duiker.
Our aims and objectives include:
- To rescue and treat all injured or orphaned wildlife brought to our attention.
- The rehabilitation of animals to their optimal level of functioning.
- To provide a safe and suitable environment for birds and animals who do not have the ability to survive reintroduction into their natural habitat eg breeding or educational programs.
- To play an active role in cultivating an awareness amongst the public to try and ensure a future for the conservation of wildlife.
- To work in close association with nature conservation and other wildlife rescue centres.
- Looking for something different to do?
- Gap year?
- Holiday with a difference?
- Need a break form the day to day of office life?
Why not come and volunteer at African Dawn!
We have volunteers from all over the world who come and help out at the sanctuary. If you want to get up close and personal with the birds and wildlife from South Africa (and beyond) and don't mind getting your hands dirty than African Dawn is the place to be!
Our volunteers stay from as little as 2 weeks to several months, sometimes even a year! Accommodation is on site and meals are included.
We are less than half an hour from Jeffreys Bay, a beautiful surfing town, where days off can be spent lazing on the beach or taking a ride along the white sands. There are numerous activities in the surrounding area and we can help organise your days off so you get to experience all South Africa has to offer.
If you would like more information on volunteering at the sanctuary please see the links below, or do not hesitate to contact us and we can email you all the relevant information.
Join our Facebook Volunteer page for info and photos from past and present volunteers and the team!